- The chocolate bar should be room temperature (70F)
- Start with the highest cacao percentage and work to the sweeter bars
- If tasting several at one time, use a palate cleanser such as crackers, soda water, green apple, or lemon water between different bars
- Look the color of the chocolate, is it reddish brown or dark brown?
- Is it shiny? Are there white patches? This could indicate fat separation from the cocoa and will likely make an off-texture
- Break off a small piece - what do you hear? It should have a nice snap if tempered well
- Smell the chocolate
- Taste it - let the piece melt slowly on your tongue. What do you taste right away? What happens as it melts? What flavors linger after the chocolate is gone?
How to taste with intention: